Cuentos Fantásticos is available in Spanish, English and French. Volume One consists of eight units for the first year of Spanish instruction. Volume Two should be taught in the second year, either middle or high school. Students new to TPRS should begin with Volume One. It takes approximately 20 days to teach each unit. (Although some teachers will spend more time on the storytelling and use the entire text in one year.) Each unit of Cuentos Fantásticos is made up of four illustrated short stories (cuentitos) and one long main story. Cuentos Fantásticos is available in a teacher and student edition.
View sample stories.
The teacher edition consists of eight units and 99 pages. The introduction includes teaching and pacing suggestions and a page of special hints for success. Each unit of the teacher edition contains the following:
1. A unit overview containing suggestions for teaching the unit, suggested props, a master list of story vocabulary, and a master list of supplemental vocabulary for the unit.
2. Four script pages. Each contains one or two short vocabulary lists of three or four words and a skeleton personalized mini-situation (PMS) for each short vocabulary list. The script page also contains a cuentito made up of all of the vocabulary words on the page. (The cuentito is illustrated on the following page.) Cognates that students will understand when presented are often included in the stories. Hints in italics provide tips and suggestions for teaching the vocabulary, grammar, and stories.
3. Four illustrated cuentitos. Students can write the short stories on the blank lines next to the pictures. Teachers may also photocopy the short story illustrations onto overheads to present and to practice writing with the class.
4. One main story: The text of the long story is provided first. A page follows which shows sixteen illustrations for the story. The introductory first unit does not have a long story.
The teacher edition index contains:
* A blank story sheet to copy and hand out to students on which they can create their own stories.
* A blank vocabulary sheet on which students can copy new words to put in the binders.
* A list of games and activities.
* Master lists of all story vocabulary and supplemental vocabulary.
* A vocabulary list broken down by word category, including cognates and popular culture references. Use this "cheat sheet" to easily generate great PMS's with your students.
The student edition of Cuentos Fantásticos contains the material of the teacher edition reformatted for student use. There are 66 pages and eight units, each consisting of:
1. A master page showing all of the unit vocabulary and four cuentitos for the unit. This is a handy reference for students and a helpful resource when students are absent from class. PMS's are only shown in the teacher edition, as they are a framework for developing a more extensive PMS's with the students.
2. Four illustrated cuentitos. Students can write the short stories on the blank lines next to the pictures. Teachers may also photocopy the short story illustrations onto overheads to present and to practice writing with the class.
3. One main story: The text of the long story is provided first. A page follows which shows sixteen illustrations for the story. The introductory first unit does not have a long story.
4. A vocabulary sheet on which to copy down new vocabulary words.
The student edition also contains an index of all the story vocabulary.
Click here to view sample stories.